Petition in Support of Van Ness Bus Rapid Transit
To: San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, San Francisco County Transportation Authority
As transit riders, we support the implementation of high-quality Bus Rapid Transit in San Francisco. We want to be sure that the BRT projects in the City - first on Van Ness - are excellent rapid transit projects. We are concerned, however, that there will be efforts to weaken the excellent BRT model. Therefore, we support, and ask that SFMTA pursue, a Van Ness BRT system that promises:
- Bus-only lanes in the center of the street for the length of the route, to assure speedy travel time without interruption from private vehicles.
- Limited stops, to ensure quick trips along the length of the corridor.
- Few left-hand turns, which will slow the bus.
- Traffic-light timing to optimize speed and give priority to the BRT buses as they approach an intersection.
- Off-board ticketing, to ensure short dwell times at stops.
- High quality shelters and buses that entice riders and clearly "brand" this route as BRT - tying it successful BRT projects around the world.
- All-door, level boarding.
We urge you to be vigilant as the project moves forward - to assure that San Francisco receives the best BRT on Van Ness Avenue.